I don’t know about you guys but I am not loving this weather at the minute! I’m writing this in November and today Storm Debi is hitting the UK with her full might. High winds combined with rain and cold temperatures is not the one especially when you’ve returned from a two week break in 40 degrees celsius!!
Anyway, less about the weather…I don’t know about you guys but recently, life has gotten hectic for us! We’re working full-time jobs, running a business (not single handedly, thankfully), making sure we’re doing enough with the kids, school runs, school homework, applying for colleges, you get the gist. And basically, there’s not enough hours in the day to be able to think clearly when you just need something quick to eat especially when all you’re thinking about is keeping it healthy!
All that got me thinking about maybe having some healthier convenient foods in the kitchen to stop me succumbing to ordering a takeaway, saving myself some money and calories.
Below are some ideas I've recently considered which are convenient and healthy.
Steam bag frozen veggies - these are great! It doesn’t get more convenient than this, no pots or pans in sight, you just pop the bag in the microwave for 2-3 minutes! I personally open the bag up and toss the veggies in butter with some herbs in a pan but if you don’t fancy the washing up, you could leave them as is.
- Packets of dried spices and mixes which you can add to any protein/veggies - I think these are great, they add so much flavour and you don’t need to spend hours making a meal. Head over to our recipe page for some ideas on the type of dishes you could enjoy mid-week!
Pesto - I LOVE pesto, so full of flavour! Whilst it is a high fat item, most of it is healthier unsaturated fat. Add to any protein or stir through pasta.
- Rice pouches - these are ace and healthy! I always have a few of these in my larder. I heat it through in a frying pan but you could easily do it in the microwave. I tend to add them to chicken and veg at lunchtime, so so easy and so filling!
- Protein powder - excellent to add to your oats, will help you feel fuller for longer. I get mine from Bulk and I’ve seen people add them to smoothies as well as other baked goodies.
- Humous or Hummus depending on where you live in the world! Whilst you can make this chickpeas dip yourself, there are some really good organic ones available to buy from your local supermarket making it convenient!
- Marinated meats - I always keep marinated chicken breast in the freezer. I do a big batch using Roohts spice blends and then freeze in parcels. Once defrosted, I cook them in my air-fryer, so easy and convenient to add to a salad or pair with rice and veg!
- Canned Fish - personally I only use tuna but I’ve seen salmon and sardines on the same shelf. I love tuna mayo with salad or to top a jacket potato or even in a sandwich…yum!
- Granola/Talbina - my go to convenient and healthy breakfast. Add granola to greek yoghurt and top it off with some local honey…so filling! If you don’t know what Talbina is, read more about it here.
- Frozen Fruit - I only recently started buying frozen fruit from Aldi, the fruit makes great smoothies, shakes and is great to add to your granola and greek yoghurt.
That’s my lot! If you use any of these ideas or you’ve got any other ideas, I’d love to hear from you, drop us an email or leave a comment on one of our posts.